Thursday, June 16, 2011

So, A Funny Thing Happened

... hey, ya'll! I haven't been posting much. Have you noticed?

Crazy busy. Trying to write a book. Haven't written prose, I feel, since some time around second grade. Hard to pick my head up out of it twice a day to look at final ratings, let alone post them. So... this summer may be a pretty quiet one here.

In the meantime, I've been watching a bunch of pilots, both picked up and busted. Here's the problem: I kind of dislike almost all of them, but don't feel that strongly. Writing glowing reviews is a breeze because I wanna share the love. Writing reviews where I absolutely, 100% can't stand something? Easy because it's, like, a giant rant and those are fun.

Writing a middling review about something I don't really care one way or the other about, made worse because it leans a little to the "bad / uninspired" side?

Impossible. And would take me into a the whole "OMG TRAVIS WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR TIME AND NOT WRITING YOUR BOOK" self-hate/death spiral, which is sooooo good for the already unfamiliar, uncharted personal creative zone that is prose writing.

So, I'm gonna be doing a review dump over the next couple hours with my quick take on everything I've watched. Just so it's off my chest. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Another Whiner said...

Did you hate Person of Interest? Because I am just amazed that it is apparently the highest testing pilot of the year. I was just... astounded by how much I didn't like it.

My favorite so far has been Pan Am.

DuMont said...

Travisyanan, how did your pilot script proceed through the development season? Did it get rolled over to the next development cycle, or are you in the process of re-tooling it?

I wish you all the best in your attempts to write quality television.

DuMont