Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wizard's First Rule

The Hollywood Reporter has an article about Sam Raimi re-teaming up with the Xena/Hercules people to do a weekly syndicated fantasy series based on Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" cycle, and it will be called Wizard's First Rule (which is the title of the first book in the series, and the only one of the books I've read... I know people who've read through the cycle, and they basically told me that the first book is the best, the second book is good, and from then on it's just Terry Goodkind preaching morals and ethics).

Despite any potential misgivings about the source material... I'm all for this. I miss me my (good years of) Xena. Not that WFR will have that kind of camp value or subtext, but still.

And if Sam Raimi can't get one of these weekly syndicated fantasy series up and successful, we'll know once and for all that the format is dead.

... now I have "Jockser the Mighty" stuck in my head.

MEANWHILE, I'm still eagerly awaiting George R. R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons" from the "A Song of Ice and Fire" cycle (which has, through four books, been hands down the best fantasy I've ever read... if you haven't read the first book, "A Game of Thrones", get thee to a book store). It was announced what seems like a year ago that David Benioff was going to adapt the entire "A Song of Ice and Fire" cycle for HBO, with each book comprising a season (for seven planned seasons). Of course, that's made more difficult with only 4 of (again, planned) 7 books published, and continuous delays of publication of the next installment.

No comments: