Sunday, February 1, 2009

Game Day

So, wow, that was some football game, wasn't it?

Ads... not a lot of awesome (certainly not in comparison to the football on display).  In fact, I think the only one that I genuinely loved was the Hulu spot.  I enjoyed the Coca-Cola ad where people drinking Coke became CGI characters, too, but didn't love it.

Okay, also the Transformers 2 spot was effective because, while I truly had no intention of seeing this sequel, the prospect of seeing Shia LaBeouf get the crap kicked out of him is too much to pass up.  They had to write (Write?  In this movie?  Really?) the actor's hand injury into the, um, plot of the movie (or somewhere between car chases, crashes, explosions, and CGI machinery).  You know me.  I have to say the word schadenfreude at least once per day just so I can prove I know how to pronounce it.  Also I remembered they filmed part of the movie at my alma mater (even if it's substituting not as my alma mater, but as the college in my hometown).  So, yeah.

But, overall, the ads both sucked and blew.  I have the 3D glasses for tomorrow night's Chuck, but the Monsters vs. Aliens trailer and the SoBe spot left much to be desired (the latter, I'll admit, I wasn't a big fan of the dancing lizards last year either, so this wasn't a surprise).

Of the NBC show spots, the Heroes-play-football thing was the best of the Monday bunch (and, man, they sure pushed the f*** outta Mondays), but the (mid-halftime) Thursday night "LMAO" ad was better.  I was surprised NBC gambled so much on the Monday promos.  Nothing for Biggest Loser (hello, post-Super Bowl weight loss inspiration?)  Nothing for Friday Night Lights (okay, THAT was no surprise).  Nothing for Knight Rider (lolololol).  Actually, okay, I was merely surprised there were so few "watch The Office tonight after the game" (there were only 2 or 3 that I can remember) or "watch NBC Thursday comedies" spots.

And apparently that annoying Pepsuber thing from last night's SNL was actually an ad for Pepsi.  Interesting.  Definitely got me to watch last night instead of skipping through the ads like I usually do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>> And apparently that annoying Pepsuber thing from last night's SNL was actually an ad for Pepsi. Interesting. Definitely got me to watch last night instead of skipping through the ads like I usually do. <<

Exactly. There's a story about it in today's Variety. They call it "Tivo proof" -- and they just may be right! I stopped fast-forwarding to watch all of them, as I'm sure a large portion of dvr users did. It'll be interesting to see if other shows attempt a similar strategy... (Although, please don't let Heroes jump on the bandwagon. Its two out-of-the-box ads during the Superbowl were cringe-worthy....)