Monday, April 27, 2009

Pilot Script Review - A Marriage

A MARRIAGE
Written By: Marshall Herskovitz & Edward Zwick
Draft Date: January 29, 2009
Pages: 57
Network: CBS
Category: Thumbs Down

I honestly don't have much to say about this pilot script. When I was reading it, I could barely follow what was happening, which is weird because it's such a simplistic premise. It's about a marriage, about a family. But events would happen that made no sense. Characters would act in ways that made no sense (not even in a human/irrational way). There would be arguments about things I couldn't understand why people were arguing in the first place.

In short, I just didn't get it. Which is really weird because both thirtysomething and My So-Called Life were so very clearly about something and had understandable protagonists and stories. To call A Marriage anything but an undecipherable mess would be to lie. Where it's supposed to be hard hitting (Noah failing to secure a contract and thus plunging his family and business into jeopardy... even Abby's cancer) just fall flat.

The Gabriel family:
- Noah (father), runs a construction company
- Abby (mother), has cancer, is a school district psychologist
- Maddy (teenage daughter), is learning to drive, gets embarrassed when a friend uploads a video of her to teh interwebz
- Jake (college age son), is dropping out of school but has no job and no plan, hey, can my girlfriend you just met move in with me as I move back in with you guys?
- Josh (Noah's brother), Noah's co-worker, young at heart

I may have misspoken when I called Miami Trauma the worst drama script of this pilot season. I obviously had put A Marriage out of my head.

No comments: