Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Predix

Lead Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)
Lead Actress - Julie Christie (Away From Her)
Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Animated Feature - Ratatouille
Art Direction - There Will Be Blood
Cinematography - No Country for Old Men
Costume Design - Sweeney Todd
Directing - Joel Coen and Ethan Coen (No Country for Old Men)
Documentary Feature - No End in Sight
Film Editing - The Bourne Ultimatum
Foreign Language Film - The Counterfeiters
Makeup - La Vie en Rose
Original Score - Atonement
Original Song - Falling Slowly (Once)
Best Picture - No Country for Old Men
Sound Editing - Transformers
Sound Mixing - Transformers
Visual Effects - Transformers
Adapted Screenplay - No Country for Old Men
Original Screenplay - Juno

The above is what I think is going to win, and most of the categories I'm pretty certain of (especially the majors, even if I'd have voted for Ellen Page or Marion Cotillard over Julie Christie for Lead Actress and for Tilda Swinton or Amy Ryan over Cate Blanchett for Supporting Actress).

As for the technical categories... I do have a couple of question mark. Specifically Art Direction, I'm really torn between There Will Be Blood, Sweeney Todd, and Atonement, but I think that There Will Be Blood will get its lone technical award there. Cinematography might go to Atonement for its beach scene. Film Editing could go to No Country for Old Men (and if it does, it's really a shoe-in for Best Picture). Sound Editing might go to No Country for Old Men, and Sound Mixing might go to The Bourne Ultimatum, both over Transformers. And if Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End sneaks away with La Vie en Rose's makeup Oscar I will actually be pretty ticked.

And, finally, we come to the short subject categories... I haven't seen any of the shorts, so these are pretty much just stabs in the dark.

Animated Short - Peter & the Wolf
Documentary Short - Sari's Mother
Live-action Short - The Tonto Woman

I won't have my computer with me during the Oscars, but I'll update with my tally out of the possible 24 points at the end of the evening...

No comments: